347 N. Pottstown Pike, Suite 200 | Exton, PA 19341

Not Enrolling in Medicare Part B, Enroll Part A Only

Since you have group creditable coverage (see video on right), you can wait to enroll in Medicare Later. You have the option to not enroll (defer) both Medicare A and B, or you can enroll in premium free Part A and defer Part B which has a cost.

Generally we recommend that you enroll in Part A to get your Medicare number established.  It is not required, but does not cost you anything.

However,  if you have an HSA (Health Savings Account) on your group health plan, you should not enroll in either Medicare Parts A or B.   Please visit our Defer Parts A and B webpage if you have an HSA plan.

Deferring is easy but will depend on if you are already collecting social security income:

The easiest way to enroll is to visit www.ssa.gov/medicare.  Scroll Down to find button for Apply for Medicare Only

If you are eligible to defer Part B (you have qualified creditable coverage), you will have the opportunity in the application to decline Part B coverage.

The application will also ask if you want to collect CASH income benefits at this time.  If you do not wish to enroll in social security income, choose NO.

Click here for step by step Directions – How to Enroll Online

Please follow the instructions that came with your Medicare Card to Return your Medicare Part B.  You have 60 days to return Part B and it will be as if Part B never started.  Social Security will send you a new Medicare card with Part A only.

You cannot defer Part A if you are collecting social security income.

If you are more than 60 days past your Part B effective date, please contact HTA to get a Part B disenrollment form.

What is Group Creditable Coverage? 1m10s

Enrolling Later:

The Request For Employment Information form provides the creditable coverage information to avoid  a Medicare Part B penalty when you enroll after age 65.  This form is not required until you are ready to enroll.

  • There is no need to notify Medicare now if you are not enrolling. 
  • No need to keep this form, we can provide the current version when you are closer to enrollment.
  • If you change jobs after age 65, you will be required to get this form completed by each employer that provided Group Health Benefits after age 65.